Open Letter to Donald Trump.
I am writing to you as an older American female who did not vote for you, on behalf of myself and millions like me. I know you’d like to think you won the popular vote but you didn’t – though that’s not really what this is about. Before you tear this up, I ask that you hear me out.
I understand how hard you have been working in these past several months to get people to like you. I’ve heard your words often, from the campaign trail and all those tweets on Twitter. Underneath all the vitriol and venom, bluster and bullying, I see a man desperate to be liked. Hey, we all want to be loved…
Well, I’m sorry to say Donald, I don’t like you and neither do millions of Americans – at least half of our citizenry (maybe even a few illegals, too) – didn’t vote for you. You are like the bad boyfriend from whom we broke up but can never get away because you keep showing up at our favorite coffee shop or frequenting our favorite Japanese restaurant.
And yet, here you are. And thanks to the reportedly marginalized people that actually believe you will help fatten their bank accounts or put filet mignon on their dinner tables, you are apparently here to stay.
In the interests of surviving and trying to enjoy my life these next four years, to earn our (okay, maybe just my) respect, here is what you can do. We can talk about how much you are liked after a while – let’s see how seriously you take the concerns, desires and interests of the American people – of which I am simply one:
- Keep your hands (literally and metaphorically) off my body. A woman’s right to choose is a private matter, one of personal choice. You have no more right to tell me what to do with my uterus than I have to tell you what to do with your penis.
- I love this country. That is – the natural part of it. The land, rivers and trees. The wildlife within – from grizzlies to wolves to chipmunks. They all have an intrinsic right to exist. You may not agree, but millions of years of evolution would support my position. With all due respect, I expect you to bear (pun intended) this in mind when some of that fancy crowd with which you travel tries to get their hands on the trees and the land in the interests of fattening their bank accounts.
- I know you think climate change is a hoax, but don’t you find it strange, that we have 65 degree days mid-November here in Colorado, or that hurricanes blowing in Manhattan are not just a bad Hollywood movie title? Come on, it’s really not that hard to understand – our carbon dioxide output officially passed the 400 ppm mark – ppm means, parts per million…– I’m not a scientist, and even I know that! (BTW, your pick of AG Pruitt for EPA Director —millions of people are upset enough to fight you on this one. Ever ask yourself, why? With all due respect, we all live on this planet — regardless of partisan politics. Is this kind of legacy you want to leave behind, a leadership ushering in personal interests to rape and pillage our environment for a fatter bank account? Ever seen The Lorax?
- People of color. You know – everyone but us Caucasian folk. I love all ethnicities – African, Indian, Mexican, European – People from all walks of life, people from all religions and cultures and tribes…Our country was founded on the desire of Europeans to steal it from those original “people of color” – Native Americans. Do you think we really have the right to fence off these stolen lands and keep others out? Besides which, you have to admit as a New Yorker – you like a good tabouleh as much as the next guy, don’t you?
- Let’s talk about that, Mister Trump. I understand you may have said certain things to get elected – and perhaps you didn’t mean. We all can get caught up in the moment, so I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you are surprised at how well it worked. Here is why it did: People are indeed afraid. They are afraid they are going to lose their way of life as they know it. They are afraid they aren’t going to be able to care for their families. Everyone wants peace and happiness and love. Even you, I suspect.
So, here’s the thing: Do you have to say the things you do, to instill more fear into those who don’t yet support you? I think you can be bigger than that. You will be expected to uphold the moral standards consistent with the highest office in the nation, after all. Which, brings me to the next point:
- Health care. Yeah, we get it, you and some radical thinkers didn’t like Americans getting cancer treatments or well baby check-ups on a co-pay. You found it all too expensive or just too-too…Well, something. But millions want it – and it was better than what they had – which was nothing, thanks to that annoying pre-existing diabetic condition. Do you really think a 250 page playbook on the new shape of healthcare will be simpler than Obamacare? Do you really believe in your heart that millions of Americans will be able to afford privatized health insurance, when they didn’t before, or that they will not be excluded for that same pre-existing condition which was allowed under Obamacare?
- I know you’re not gonna like this one – and some might even feel hurt if you don’t let them come play in the proverbial boy’s club – but could you choose cabinet members, advisors and chiefs of staff, who are at least equipped for their positions, represent the interests of the American people, have some experience in the area of expertise, or reflect Mike the Mechanic or Joe Contractor up there on Capitol Hill? We are having tremendous difficulty appreciating how your son-in-law would make a good Middle East diplomat or how appointing a Hollywood financier who foreclosed upon thousands can be a good fit for peace negotiations in the Middle East or handling the nation’s bank account. At the risk of sounding, well, naïve, can you help us understand that?
- Speaking of appointees, you might want to reconsider this next one. I understand your allegiance to Mr. Bannon – he was your campaign manager and all that. We get nepotism – and yet – ya gotta know, Mister Trump, it’s kinda frowned upon in The White House. Mr. Bannon had a good ride, and he might enjoy a bit of time off to go fishing up there in Montana with Mr. Spence. You have to admit – the guy’s a bit, well rough around the edges – and The White House is no place for a Neo Nazi propagandist. Can you find someone else, who better represents the interests of all Americans? Have you noticed, by the way, the color of our nation lately? We are a diverse group – and I for one, want to keep it that way.
- This one is less personal to me, but I know it concerns others, so I’ll go ahead and say it: Business conflicts. We understand you’ve very successful, what with all those high rises and all (a good friend once oohed and ahhed in the elevator on a personal tour) – by now we’ve seen your name up there high in the sky. But I’d like to point out, while not legally required, it would be considered an act of the highest moral, ethical and presidential standards, to put your companies in a blind trust. You know, like Ted Kennedy did. It’d go a long way towards instilling trust in the American people.
- This is the last one Donald, I promise. Those tax cuts you are proposing – are you sure they are going to benefit those who need it most? I’m just asking – because I’m neither a Hollywood financier nor a University of Chicago economist – and certainly not a woman of means by which I may benefit. But it seems to me that if you are planning on giving those who can afford to give a little one of the largest breaks of all time, won’t that mean a little less spending on things like bridges and roadways and all that infrastructure? I’m just sayin’…
In closing, dear Donald, I am ending this letter with the sincerest and (likely) most naïve wish, that you take into consideration some of the concerns expressed. I’d be delighted if you’d prove me wrong – indeed, I challenge you – to prove us all wrong. I know there are many who feel the same as I do, so perhaps you will take some of things to heart. Four years is a long time to be holding our breath.
Writer, Ecopsychologist, Lover of all things natural and wild…